You have suffered injuries in an unfortunate accident in Roseville that wasn’t your fault. If the other party, who owed you a duty of care (such as another driver on the road), acted negligently, you can file an injury claim and ask for compensation. Getting a fair outcome can be more complicated than you know, and hiring a Roseville personal injury lawyer is essential to take the claim forward. There are many factors that have an influence on the settlement, and we have enlisted a few of them below.
- Your role: States have different laws when it comes to contributory negligence. In California, you can seek compensation for a car accident, even when you had a significant share in the fault. In other states, such as Virginia, there is the rule of contributory negligence, which means that you cannot sue the other driver when you are at fault. Also, your compensation will be attuned as per your fault share.
- Your injuries: If you have suffered catastrophic or life-altering injuries in the mishap, your case is worth a lot more. Claims involving such injuries tend to be more expensive for insurance companies because it is not just the present but also the future of the victim at stake. From current medical care to future losses, the settlement should ideally cover everything.
- Permanent injuries: Have you sustained injuries that are likely to prevent you from working in the future? Have you suffered a permanent disability? Because you may not find gainful employment in the aftermath of the accident, your claim’s value goes up significantly.
- Pre-existing injuries: If you had a pre-existing condition or injury, the insurance company and the at-fault party might argue that your current situation is not because of the accident. This is one of the many reasons why it is critical to have a lawyer defend your case. You would want to lose because you didn’t have a proper legal strategy.
- Experience of your lawyer: Regardless of how small the claim may look on paper, you need an experienced attorney who can guide you through the entire situation. You don’t need to hire any random lawyer but someone who specializes in personal injury law in California. Also, check if the attorney has worked on similar cases. The approach for a medical malpractice case would be different than that of a fall accident.
Get an attorney to understand what your injury claim is worth.