Imagine the situation: you’ve had a great vision for your entire life and didn’t even think of wearing glasses. Suddenly, in 40-45, you realize, you no longer can see numbers on your phone’s screen. Moreover – if you need to read the expiry date of some product in a supermarket, you have to bring it farther from your eyes. Letters in a book blur and you can’t see them clearly. What’s happening? The answer is obvious: this is a standard example of age-related farsightedness, also called presbyopia.
Why age-related farsightedness occurs?
Getting old, the human body undergoes various mechanisms of aging, which cannot be stopped. Our skin becomes less elastic and so wrinkles occur. Our eyes also have similar processes: the tissues of our crystalline lens become less elastic and its accommodative ability lowers. Unfortunately, there are no prophylaxis methods, which can prevent or stop these processes. However, there are methods, which allow a person to have good vision even in the case of presbyopia.
The simplest solution to cure age-related farsightedness is glasses. They help your eyes focus on close objects. But for many people who got used to an active way of living, glasses become a major hindrance and cause constant inconveniences. In addition, if presbyopia progresses, the vision deteriorates even more and the reading glasses shall be supplemented by computer glasses. Don’t you find it terribly inconvenient?
Contact lenses are a good option especially if you have other vision problems besides age-related farsightedness, for instance, shortsightedness. In this case, it would be possible to combine:
- Reading glasses to correct farsightedness and contact lenses to correct shortsightedness
- Bifocal contact lenses, which are great for reading and working on a PC
- Contact lenses to correct presbyopia, where one lens is designed to see into the distance and another one is designed to see near.
Laser correction of presbyopia
There is a solution for those people who are tired of glasses or contact lenses and want another solution for their active lifestyle – a laser correction. In past years, the necessary prerequisite and limit to make such an operation was the age of 40-45 years.
But recently, in the “Eximer” ophthalmology center, a new unique method of laser correction became available – PresbiLasic a.k.a. PresbiPhemtoLasic. It allows solving a problem of age-related farsightedness. The nature of the operation is that the laser corrects the curvature of the eye cornea and allows returning the vision on close distances. It is important to mention that a thorough diagnostic is undertaken before the operation to choose an optimal method of vision correction, which is offered by a doctor.
What surgical methods of correction of presbyopia are?
The trustworthy methods of correction age-related farsightedness are also implanting the phakic lens and implanting a multifocal intraocular lens. Let’s consider these methods below:
– Phakic lens implantation is a surgical intervention, where a phakic lens (a type of contact lens) is inserted into an eye through a micro-incision. Along with that, your own crystalline lens stays where it is. This operation allows having good vision in close and far distances without any contact lenses or glasses.
– Multifocal intraocular lens implantation. Such an operation changes the natural crystalline lens of an eye with a multifocal artificial lens, which allows having good vision in all distances: close, medium, and far. Before such an operation, a thorough studying of the way of life of a person is undergone along with meticulous preparation. For instance, if the future patient spends a lot of time sitting by a computer, one type of crystalline lens shall be used. If a person spends a lot of time driving, another crystalline lens type is used.
The first and the second operations last for about 10-15 minutes, are executed with local anesthesia, and do not require hospitalization. A person can return to their usual lifestyle already on the day of operation. But if there will be any limitations for physical loads, such as avoiding going to a gym, sauna, or pool for a while – they must be met in order to avoid troubles.
We have listed several methods of curing age-related farsightedness. Only a doctor ophthalmologist can decide which method would be best for you, and only after you undergo a thorough vision diagnostic. Thus, do not postpone your decision – make an appointment to a modern specialized ophthalmologic clinic as soon as possible.