Barbados is one of the true paradise islands of the world. The island is located to the south-east of the archipelago of the Caribbean islands. Barbados has the wonderful advantage of being more or less out of the hurricane belt. In fact, the last time that a hurricane made landfall in Barbados was almost 30 years ago.
The island has some glorious beaches, but Barbados is not only about the beach. It has a great Rastafarian culture and a very interesting colonial history. The interior of the island is full of rainforests and beautiful natural parks to explore. For a family holiday, there are lots of things to do and see. It is one of the only islands to have a submarine where you can go underwater and experience the incredible diversity of sea life.
Barbados is often called the island of sports so for the active there is a great range of sports to participate in. There are 5 PGA standard golf courses on the island, several extremely professional tennis centres, polo fields, horse racing tracks and of course a huge variety of watersports. You can participate in everything from scuba diving, snorkelling, sailing, deep sea fishing, paddle boarding and kayaking.
Barbados is also one of the best islands in the world for ocean side restaurants. There are too many to mention, but some of the most popular ones include The Cliff, Tides, The Lone Star and Cin Cin.
Barbados is great for honeymoons, romantic getaways, adult groups and for multi-generational getaways.
Barbados has some of the most amazing villas and vacation rentals in the Caribbean. Check out www.villasbarbados.com for more information. If this is your first time considering Barbados for a vacation, here are some of my top tips.
- If you are travelling off a long-haul flight, then it is very wise to book the fast-tracking service at the airport. Grantley Adams International can get very busy at certain times, and this will save you standing around for hours. It is also very inexpensive when you take into account the time you will save. While others are still in the line, you will be on the beach sipping your sundown cocktail!
- If you are choosing a villa or rental property on the island, make sure you talk to a company that are real experts and can weigh up the pros and cons of each. A good sign is when they try and match the villa to your dreams and requirements
- If you want to be on the beach, consider staying on Paynes Bay, Gibbes Beach, Reeds Bay, The Garden or on Mullins Beach. These are amongst the best on the island.
- If you are travelling in the peak holiday seasons, it is very wise to book your restaurants well in advance. Likewise, during Thanksgiving and festive, it can be hard to get car rentals so book them as soon as you have your villa or hotel organised.
- If you are flexible on your dates and want to get excellent value, then travel from May to the end of August. The rates are half the price of the high season, and the weather is often just as good. The other great thing is you are much more likely to get the best tables in the restaurants and also the best service.
- If you like to party, the best time to visit the island is during the Crop Over Festival. The festival is a 200-year-old tradition that marks the end of the harvest. The festival lasts for six weeks, and if you are lucky, you might see Rihanna doing some sexy Bajan dancing.
- If you are travelling from the US, remember that this was originally a British Island and they drive on the left. You will also need to bring your international adaptor as most of the sockets are European too.
- The local currency in Barbados is the Bajan dollar which is 2 to 1 with the US dollar, but there is no need to get Bajan dollars in advance of your trip as everywhere accepts US dollars
- If you want to experience some local culture, try one of the reggae buses that go up and down the coast. They are a great way of getting around and very inexpensive too. The other thing that is great for experiencing local culture is to attend one of the fish fries. Oistins Fish Fry is probably the most famous and takes place every Friday.
- If you like beautiful scenery, I highly recommend you travel to the north and the east of Barbados. The scenery is spectacular.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Alexandra Baradi is the owner and CEO of Villas Barbados and Exceptional Villas who are considered to be the worlds most trusted villa vacation rental company. They only feature personally inspected, and 100 per cent vetted villas. Exceptional Villas are also considered to be one of the world’s most trusted villa rental companies.