Medical malpractice, dog bites, construction accidents, auto accidents, slip & fall accidents – These are some common examples of PI (personal injury) cases in New Jersey. If you are a victim, you can seek compensation from the at-fault side. Getting fairly compensated for your injuries and losses is important, and that’s precisely why you need a Jersey City personal injury lawyer. In this post, we are sharing five tips to choose between options.
- Meet & ask questions. A good lawyer will take the time to answer your questions and evaluate the worth of your PI claim. Don’t be tempted to choose a lawyer simply because they sounded nice on the phone. Insist on a personal meeting and ask about the worth of your claim and what you can expect in a settlement.
- Check reviews. While most law firms in Jersey City will share references on requests of potential clients, you may also want to check a few reviews. Reviews posted by other clients can help you understand the true nature and profile of an attorney. Remember that you are more likely to see bad reviews because clients typically post reviews when they are angry or disgruntled. Too many bad reviews could be a sign.
- Discuss the fee. You don’t have to pay an injury lawyer right away. In fact, most lawyers don’t ask for a fee until the client wins. This is called a contingency fee arrangement. However, don’t leave anything to the imagination. Ask the lawyer about their fee and other expenses before they take the matter ahead.
- Find more about communication. Injury lawyers are busy people, and therefore, a lawyer may not always be available to take calls. However, as a client, you should be able to communicate with their office and get updates on your case. When you meet the lawyer, ask one basic question – “How can I get updates on my case?”.
- Watch out for promises. Lawyers may have the experience and expertise to share what to expect from a case, but they cannot guarantee an outcome. PI cases are often complex, and two cases with similar circumstances may have very different outcomes. Always watch for promises and stay away from lawyers who guarantee an outcome.
Check online now and find the top injury lawyers in your area in NJ. Call an attorney as soon as you get injured to know the dos and don’ts.